Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Skinny Bitch and the Teenyboppers

You've probably seen them before. At the movie theater, in the mall, or in your high school graduating class. No matter what year you were born or what country you are from, they exist in your world. Perhaps they make you angry. Perhaps you are indifferent.

Perhaps you are one of them.

I hope not.

I saw her two weeks ago at the Goodrich Jackson 10, a skinny, petite blonde with an entourage of slightly less skinny brunettes and a few fresh-faced lackeys; she's got the eye-roll down. I try not to be judgmental, but the moment I saw her standing in line, talking just a bit loudly and chewing gum, my Skinny Bitch radar signaled. My suspicions were confirmed not long after, while a tall, blue-eyed Polo and Bermudas bought her some popcorn.

"I can't stand it when girls do that." She not-so-discreetly pointed at a girl in a pink t-shirt across the room. "They, like, want to do the girly-girl look but they, just, don't know how." The three other girls agreed that it "just looked stupid," but I caught the face of one glancing to the side with a look that made me wonder if she owned a pink t-shirt just like it.

Pink T-shirt held hands with her boyfriend as she walked into Theater 5. She had natural tousled curls, had applied minimal eyeshadow, and wore jeans and flip-flops with the offending hot-pink (possibly with a logo on breast cancer) unfitted tee.

Skinny Bitch got her popcorn and I watched her walk away, skinny jeans, sheer blouse, hair feathers and all, and I couldn't help but be angry at this girl--this child of a person--for her mean-spirited comments toward a normally dressed peer. There were so many things I wanted to say, such as, "Um, that's my sister," or "Excuse me, but your face is decomposing."

Instead I just let her walk away and a week later it is still bothering me.

Not everyone has the time, the money, or the give-a-damn to put on a perfectly executed outfit every day. Pink t-shirt seemed like a perfectly nice girl. I guess Skinny Bitches and Teenyboppers aren't secure enough to see that.

No comments:

Post a Comment