Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Happy Birthday, Emma Bean!

Yes, today was Emma's birthday, and I am sure she had a good one. I left her in Michigan this afternoon in the capable hands of my mother. I left while she was sleeping, which made me feel guilty for some reason, but I'll get over it.

She did have quite a pre-birthday birthday party. The first was spent with my in-laws. We ordered a cake from the same company that is doing our wedding cake. It was a vanilla cake with mango filling, and everyone enjoyed it.


Apparently in Chinese culture there is a special 1 year old birthday tradition. After the meal, my in-laws gathered some items: a pen, a book, an abacus, some packaged food, a toy and a hundred dollar bill. They then placed Emma on the table to see which item she would grab first. Tradition says that what she chooses will tell us something about her future.


And now we know!

Her second birthday party was the next day at my grandparents house in Parma, MI. The cake was more simple, and honestly? A little tastier than the gourmet one we got before. Something about good, old fashioned chocolate/vanilla marble sings to my soul.



Unfortunately, as in the Bearnstain Bear's book Too Much Birthday, Emma did not survive all of the birthday cake with grace. Yesterday she had terrible diarrhea and diaper rash. With the help of this tip, (BRAT) Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast, and with the help of lots of Pedialyte, Emma is back to her happy little self again.

Today, as a birthday present, my mom bought her the ultimate summer baby gift: A kiddy pool. I'm trying to load the video but the internet is giving me issues. I shall do so as soon as I can figure out how.

No comments:

Post a Comment