Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Stick out your tongue and say "Red!"

I know, I know. It's after 1 a.m. and I should be sleeping. Well, for your information, I am pumping. Emma just inhaled 4 oz of breast milk and probably would have had more had there been any. Its the most she's ever eaten in one sitting.

Today has been a day of milestones. A trip to the WIC office revealed that Emma is now 6 lb 7 oz, quite the development considering her hospital discharge weight was only 5 lb 12 oz. I told Emma how proud of her I was, but she just stuck her tongue out at me. That's something she's been doing for the last few days. She sticks it out, moves it from side to side, licks her hand, and makes little smacking noises during feedings. I guess for a two-week old squirt like her, a tongue is a new and fascinating thing.

Emma also had her first restaurant experience today when Mom and I stopped at Bob Evan's. We happened to get our favorite waiter (sweet kid named Alexx, has performance art major written all over him in bold cursive), which was nice. I had the spinach tomato breakfast bowl. Emma had formula.

When we got home, Emma had another feeding. But instead of going to sleep like she usually does, her eyes were wide open. She wasn't fussy at all. She just sat, looking at the purple curtains. I started telling her about the curtains, but she wasn't really interested in knowing where they came from, so I got out some stroller cards and we looked at colors. She really liked the red cards, and the mirror. After a half hour, I grabbed a book and took her down to her grandma so I could do a few things. I'm told she was fascinated with the green pages, and the white page with the black and white penguin. All told, she was wide awake for about an hour. That, my friends, is a record.

Now let's see how long she can sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment