Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Wagons, Vitamins, and Lamb Meatballs?

I must confess something. I'm not doing well with this whole diet thing...

Okay, here's what happened. Yesterday I went to Caribou Coffee soon after posting. As you all know, the 7-grain oatmeal is my favorite thing they have. It wasn't till I was half-way through it I realized what I'd done... Gluten Guilt!

And then there was today. It started off in class, when I arrived to my lab to discover that it was fermented food day! So we made yogurt, and tried a verity of things including olives, pickles, and fermented tofu... yes, there's gluten in tofu. Of course the tofu was very strong-tasting so I immediately ate a cracker... gluten there too.

I also fell off the wagon with the chocolate, but I had reasonable cause and nobody can fault me! I talked to a friend of mine this morning. Instead of hearing the usual chipper "Hell-o!" I get from this dear girl, I got a sniffly "Hi." Apparently her dog died last night. It was unexpected, and she loved the dog very much. I really didn't have a choice. As soon as I was done with class, I went to the convenience store and bought two pints of chocolaty ice cream. (At this point some may say that I could have just gotten her one pint, but it just doesn't work that way. It's not healthy to drown your sorrows in ice cream by yourself.)

So that's where I am today. I didn't have a chance to exercise because all my exercise clothes are in the bottom of the laundry hamper...

So that vitamin incident. I've been taking Women's One a Day Active Metabolism for a while now. A month ago, I was having a terrible time sleeping. Meng likes the mattress extra firm and I was convinced that our bed was at fault for my tossing and turning. I tried sleeping on the couch a few nights. The first night I had been studying and barely even brushed my teeth before crashing into the soft cushions. I didn't stir all night. The second and third nights I tossed and turned again. Next we talked about disorders. I was considering having a sleep study done. Then one day I made a discovery...

Actually, Emma made a discovery first. When you shake a pill bottle, it makes the coolest noise! We negotiated for a while over who the bottle belonged to, until we compromised with a trade (crinkly book for pill bottle). As I casually returned the bottle to the bathroom, I noticed a teeny notice on the label:
"This product contains about as much caffeine as a cup of coffee."

So That explains a lot. I had been taking it at night right before I went to bed. That one night that I slept so well on the couch, I had forgotten to take it. Moral of the story is: always read the label.

Anyway, I'm off to try and make Lamb Meatballs. I'll let you know how they turn out. Ground lamb is surprisingly inexpensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment